No workaround, it is a Microsoft licensing issue. If you are using a valid copy of cisco / Microsoft load, make sure it isn't the 2003 load that had a bug that acted just the way you are talking about (valid s/ n but it wouldn't register with m'soft). It was a real early 2003 cisco build.

Sent from my phone, apologies for any typos.