OS X has a built in TFTP server, and there is a GUI available for it that is
simple to use (google "os x tftp server").Visio - OmniGraffle is the closest
competitor, otherwise, use visio in fusion
for USB to Serial i used a cheapo from newegg ($6) that uses the PL203
driver, which i use with screen (terminal app)