Heheh.
Take this for what its worth. When I first started playing with UCM my
instructor had 6.x in a vm under CentOS and later under Windows XP. His
recollection was this: It ran faster under Windows XP

Now I haven't run any benchmarks or anything on that order, but I find it
runs even better under OS X

:)