From: Brett [mailto:brett.sal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:08 PM
To: Michael Ciarfello
Cc: Mark Snow; ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com; Dave Wong
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] Gatekeeper bandwidth question

Mark - No critical intentions inferred :)

Simply that, and to add to Michael's reply inline, if you absolutely positively
have an 'everywhere' g711 region than you most likely undid your 'everywhere'
g729 region in the process.  I had this same issue occur with three different
customers over the last 2 months and everytime it was a region issue; however,
none of them were running 7.0 code.  And being in the field more than the lab,
I forget about lab specific code.

So, if we're indeed running 7.0 code (Dave?) as the blueprint dictates then you
may be hitting a well known bug, assuming our regions are spot on, wherein the
ARQ neglects the region pairings and lets the IntraRegion Audio Default codec
Service Parameter override its decision thereby requesting 1280 up front, since
if you haven't messed with this service parameter it defaults to g711.  Without
the BRQ Enabled param enabled the sh gatek calls will report 128k, but both
endpoints will claim g729.  With it enabled, of course you'll see a BRQ in the
h225 asn1 debug and sh gatek calls will then display 16k.

Not a big deal as long we don't introduce session bandwidth limits that don't
account for that extra 1280 ARQ.  The workaround, if memory serves, is to set
the service parameter mentioned above to g729 after which you should see the
initial ARQ on the HQ side be 160 (or upgrade to a fixed version :)

hth,
Brett

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Michael Ciarfello