From: Otto Sanchez [mailto:o...@ipexpert.com]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 4:59 AM
To: Jason Granat
Cc: <ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com>
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] PSTN Call Distortion Between T1/E1

Hello Jason,

E1's and T1's will always use a-law and u-law companding mechanism
respectively, this is used to give more "resolution" to low voice frequencies
when digitizing an analog signal (the mechanism is also used in the other end
for digital to analogue conversion), each mechanism is designed exclusively to
work with its voice digital standard and cannot be used conversely,

In that sense, my guess is that before applying that command in your E1 port,
the companding type was u-law, you can verify this using the sh voice port
command (perhaps the default configuration of a-law was somehow overwritten by
a cptone command in the same port configuration), and when you hardcoded the
a-law companding type everything worked as expected,

I also found a note in the Cisco IOS Voice Port Configuration Guide, which says
that the command is used when cross-connecting in a local router,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/voice/voiceport/configuration/guide/vp_cfg_digital_vps_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1009871

HTH,
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Jason Granat