Dear Ashar,

  The ^$ is catching null, which could be used to catch calls from unkown.
example usage, drop any calls from PSTN that has ANI of unkown type.
On H323 you could use following rule to do this

voice translation-rule 1
 rule 1 reject /^$/

voice translation-profile Drop-Unknown
  translate calling 1

dial-peer voice 1 pots
direct-inward-dial
incom called .
*call-block translation-profile incoming Drop-Unknown*

For you example may be it i setting unknown ANI to be 42000 for example, bu
not sure, need to be tested.

Regards,
Wael Agina

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Ashar Siddiqui <siddas...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I know I may sound stupid to some but I really want to know the purpose of
> ^$ in a translation rule for e.g:
>
> voice translation-rule 100
>  rule 1 /^$/ /42000/
> !
>

> ^$ is null...what does it mean? what is a null number?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Wael Agina