I would say it all depends on the dial plan. Both can pretty much accomplish
the same; the problem at least for me is, how complex it gets when TEHO,
backup GWs and calling/called party presentation comes into play. In my
opinion CdPT patterns are scalable and they help you reduce your dial plan
however the CCIE does not care about scalability, just functionality. Get
used to both approaches; old school and the one introduced in CUCM 7; then
you should be able to come with an action plan when your sitting in the lab.

Regards,
Roger Carpio.