Hi Juan,

 

Regarding GK separate DP, this is required to apply CAC when calls are
initiated from both BR1 & HQ to BR2. As you know CAC won't apply for
intra-location. Assume GK has HQ DP, in this case BR1-BR2 calls will have
CAC applied, but HQ-BR2 calls won't have CAC (same location). It's always
good to have GK in separate DP to have more control over CAC rules between
locations.

 

Regarding pass through, I believe you need to keep it. Consider this
scenario:

 

HQ is calling BR2 using G729. HQ is having SIP and SCCP phones. As you know,
MTP can have one codec. Let's assume that you configured G729r8. Now the
problem is CUCM uses g729br8 for SCCP phones and g729r8 for SIP phones (SIP
phones don't support annex-b). Without pass-through, calls from SCCP won't
have MTP allocated since the codec isn't matching.

 

Please correct me if I am wrong and share your input.

 

Regards,

Mohammed Al Baqari

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Juan Lopez
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:26 AM
To: George Goglidze
Cc: CCIE Study
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] IPexpert lab 10: F/R hub-and-spoke topology
vs. RSVP not applied to the GK DP's location

 

Thx George - indeed what I read in SRND about asage of the passthrough. As
for the lab (I understand your feedback is general, not lab-specific), there
is no sRTP nor video, so my question was why passthrough would be included
in the IPExpert solution guides. 

 

for the hub_none/RSVP: I'll need to continue searching I think - as indeed
it might be a bad idea, but the lab doesn't care for good practices. so for
the given topology, I wonder why the ipexpert solutions create a seperate DP
for the GK. Anyone out there with some clear thoughts on this? 

Op 28 maart 2012 23:41 schreef George Goglidze <[email protected]> het
volgende:

Hi, 

I'll just write regarding pass-through codec on MTP.
You must have pass-through codec when the voice payload is not supported.
For example, in case of SRTP traffic, the MTP resource without pass-through
codec would not support encryption, but if you use pass-through codec it
does not care if the media is encrypted or not, it will just substitute the
IP's around in ip header without looking in payload. same goes for video
streams using MTP! no pass-through no video, no game :) 

Now, if it's a good thing in a lab, I guess I'll let you decide :-) 
It's still good practice in my opinion to always have pass-through as first
option. 

Regarding CAC on hub_none location, bad idea in general, if you need to
limit one location just create different location for it. 
I'm not familiar with the questions, so can't say if you should be limiting
that location or not. I guess I'd try NOT to overconfigure. and just do
what's asked for.

Hope this helps, 

 

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Juan Lopez
<[email protected]> wrote:

thx Baktha,

I don't see a reason to use the pass-through for the lab purposes either...
let's wait and see if someone comes up with some other opinion.

for the CAC: well, if the requirement states to have x calls between BR1 and
HQ, my guess is that you need to have RSVP applied between BR1 and HQ, and
that GK trunk needs to be in the location HQ. If the GK is placed in a
seperate DP with a location that has no RSVP with any other locations (like
in the ipexpert proctor guide), then calls going from BR1 to CME over GK
trunk will not be subject to RSVP cac , although these calls traverse the
BR1 link to HQ.. I don't see how the rquirement can be met in that case...

cheers,

Juan


 

Op 28 maart 2012 19:01 schreef Baktha Muralidharan <[email protected]>
het volgende:

Hi Juan

As for CAC, guess one would have to consider

 - peak call volume
 - WAN QoS to decide if location-based CAC is [also] needed.

If WAN QoS guarantees enough bandwidth for the anticipated peak volume,
then, not sure we need the local-based CAC [RSVP or otherwise]

As for pass-through, my experience is you only need the codec that will be
used, in this case, the g.729r8. pass-through would be needed if you are
plan to do such things as T.38 fax.

thanks,
/Batkha




Message: 3
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:33:29 +0200
From: Juan Lopez <[email protected]>
To: CCIE Study <[email protected]>
Subject:
Message-ID:
       <CANpj6cyy3bDV8OvmNei=yqm5zpvbghxaalvpjyduku1wlqi...@mail.gmail.com
<mailto:yqm5zpvbghxaalvpjyduku1wlqib%[email protected]> >
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" 



In lab 10A, HQ devices are placed in DP_HQ with location HQ. GK/SIP trunk
are placed in seperate DP, with location
hub_none and no RSVP applied.
So when calling from BR1 phone to CME over GK trunk, no CAC is enforced at
the UCM. But the calls go over the FR link,
as the FR setup is hub-and-spoke. Considering this topology (versus MPLS) :
Shouldn't CAC be enforced (RSVP enabled on the hub_none location) to limit
the amount of calls from BR1 to HQ - by extension to CME? I understand GK
CAC can be used to contol the amount of calls between the UCM cluster and
CME - but in this case we need to have CAC on the link BR1<> HQ too.

Also, what is the use of codec pass-through in the RSVP MTP ? Calls use
g729 over the WAN (normally) - so what scenario exsits to have codec
pass-through configured with g729 as fallback? why not simply use g729r8 as
codec, without the passthrough (considering no video is involved here)

thx for sharing thoughts!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
</archives/ccie_voice/attachments/20120328/94dfa20d/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
CCIE_Voice mailing list
[email protected]
http://onlinestudylist.com/mailman/listinfo/ccie_voice


End of CCIE_Voice Digest, Vol 73, Issue 107
*******************************************

 

_______________________________________________
For more information regarding industry leading CCIE Lab training, please
visit www.ipexpert.com <http://www.ipexpert.com/> 

Are you a CCNP or CCIE and looking for a job? Check out
www.PlatinumPlacement.com <http://www.platinumplacement.com/> 



_______________________________________________
For more information regarding industry leading CCIE Lab training, please
visit www.ipexpert.com <http://www.ipexpert.com/> 

Are you a CCNP or CCIE and looking for a job? Check out
www.PlatinumPlacement.com <http://www.platinumplacement.com/> 

 

 

_______________________________________________
For more information regarding industry leading CCIE Lab training, please visit 
www.ipexpert.com

Are you a CCNP or CCIE and looking for a job? Check out 
www.PlatinumPlacement.com

Reply via email to