Study group – below is a how-to/strategy response I sent to a friend
earlier today who asked about the globalization/localization questions in
the practice labs.  I'm sharing here in case anyone else needs some
pointers and has not yet asked the study list.  I hope this helps
someone…and if not that's fine, it already helped the person I wrote it for
:-)

*QUESTION*: CngPTP setup - globalize/localize on missed call list vs
display.  Should I globalize on the GW according to NPI/TON or do it
manually using a CngPTP CSS?

*ANSWER*: To solve those questions about modifying the display of a phone
it helps me to break it into two steps/phases, at least conceptually.  Once
you practice it a few times you can configure it in one shot in a specific
order, but don't try to do that until you nail the config down and do it a
few times.

*Phase 1*: IGNORE the phone display, focus on globalization - globalize the
inbound call, make it show in the call list, and make it routable when you
call outbound from the missed call list.

   1. Look at the inbound q931 from the gw to see the PSTN's ANI, make note
   of the TON.  Go to the gateway config in CUCM (either mgcp or h323), and
   set the prefix based on TON, for example if "subscriber" with 10 digits
   then set the sub prefix to +1 or whatever you need.  Make this work first
   (i.e., make it show on the phone), then move on.
   2. After you get a missed call with + in the call log (and for now + on
   the display), make it routable when redialing.  Copy/create a RLIST (this
   is important for the display edits later, DON'T reuse an existing route
   list), and do your DDI/TON on the RLIST level to make the + call work –
   only worry about the specific source phone and destination number listed in
   the question.  When this call works (ensuring the PSTN requirements are
   still met from the routing section), move on to the next phase.

*Phase 2*: Now fix the localized display on the phone.

   1. INBOUND – you have already modified inbound ANI on the gw (in CUCM)
   to be the +e164 number.  Now create a new CngPTP (in a new PT or a
   placeholder "xform-partition") to match this + number and manipulate to
   what the question states.  The CSS that contains the PT for the CngPTP
   (either new CSS or a placeholder "xform-css" which contains
   "form-partition") should now be applied at the target PHONE, remember to
   UNCHECK 'use dev pool CSS.'  You should now have localized the inbound
   connected number and still have + in call log.
   2. OUTBOUND – you should already be able to place the return call from
   call log, using RLIST for digit manip (part of Phase 1).  The reason to do
   digit manip on RLIST is so that here you can ALSO do digit manip on the
   Route Pattern.  The RP digit manip will be used for display on phone only
   because RLIST also does digit manip and RLIST will override the RP.  (Side
   note, if you do DDI on RP and NOT on RLIST, then the DDI RP will take
   effect for the DNIS.  In my labs I always do DDI RLIST except special
   situations like this or when I skip a RLIST and have the RP point directly
   to an ITSP trunk (and if the display number doesn't matter).)
      1. Note – depending on which digits you are removing on the RLIST to
      make the call route (from Phase 1) the dot may be in the wrong place for
      your use pre dot strip here in the RP.  In this case, move the dot to the
      right so you can use DDI for phone display to localize, but make
sure to go
      edit the RLIST to prefix those extra digits that the gw needs to keep.
      2. Example – you may have originally used +44.2077961234 and predot
      in RLIST to make the call route.  Now for localization you may need to
      display "77961234" so you need +4420.77961234 in the RP and predot here.
       Since you moved the dot the DDI in the RLIST is broken, so now
modify the
      RLIST based on the new dot position to prefix the 20.

Now that it makes conceptual sense, practice a few times on different sites
– make up your own questions/requirements once you get bored with the
practice lab question.  After a couple times, you'll see the 'big picture'
when you read the question and you can go through the whole process and
setup all the DDI on the first shot at the RL and RP (rather than doing the
RL, then changing it after you realize the RP ddi needs to move the dot for
phone display).

Good Luck!