Hi Ben,

secondary dial tone gets played when the currently dialed numbers match
patterns which all have "provide outside dial tone" set. It doesn't matter
if there are several matches until all have the same settings.

First please check if all of the  mentioned patterns have provide outside
dial tone set.

Secondly check if there's any other pattern, dn, etc. which begins with 9.

For example a DN like 9000 can definitely cause this kind of issue:
- when user dials the first 9 the system has match for all of the patterns
with outside dial tone set, and also the DN which doesn't have this
setting. Since cucm cannot decide between them there'll be no secondary
dial tone.
- when user dials let's say 1, there'll be match only for route patterns
with outside dial tone set, so the system will play it.

Hope I didn't make it too complicated :-)

Regards,