Thank you Herbert,

Yes, I call tunneling the "conformer swap trick", and I provide a jiffy script for doing this. Swapping conformer letter assignments is equivalent to changing the color of the ropes at a certain distance down their length.  When you give this to the refinement program all the bonds are created between same-color bits of rope only, so you effectively tunnel.

The hard part is deciding which bits need to change color.   In my simple diagram it is easy, as the point of maximum stress is also the point where corrective action needs to be taken.  This is equivalent to "Level 1" of the UNTANGLE Challenge.  At Level 2 the atoms that need to be swapped are not the most strained, but nearby.  At Level 3 there are several groups of atoms that need to be swapped, but I can't do it myself without cheating because I already know what they are.

At Level 9 the atoms that need swapping are in large, connected groups. This type of correlated motion is probably the most biologically interesting.

Good news is: every "wrong interpretation" of the correlated motions that I have been able to contrive has markedly more strain than the ground truth. This implies the "right interpretation" of correlated motion is recognizable and provable. I find that motivating.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist