Dear Vincent,

     Thank you for chipping in as you did, with so much useful feedback
about the difficulty of re-using PDB depositions containing anisotropic
data. It is a very useful picture of what is definitely a "bleeding edge" on
the "R" side of the wwPDB's "FAIR" ideal.

     It would be most helpful if you could share with us (off-line) the
details of the specific problems you encountered and that led to the odd
recommendation that you should use a text editor to combine the contents of
mmCIF files.

     It is interesting that you used the turn of phrase "huge anisotropy
combined with lack of completeness in high resolution shells" as if they
were two distinct evils that had conspired to combine in order to make your
life difficult. In reality, as you are of course well aware, they are one
and the same evil, as strong anisotropy will necessarily result in low
completeness in the *spherical* shell to the highest diffraction limit. The
diagram at the beginning of the page

         https://staraniso.globalphasing.org/anisotropy_about.html

makes this totally obvious. The only way to have full completeness in the
outermost (spherical) shell is to have isotropic diffraction. Forgive me for
perhaps belabouring something you are perfectly aware of, but it provided an
opportunity to push back against "isotropic thinking" that is still so
deeply ingrained in the collective worldview.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.