***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***


You can either generate a pseudo-noe-file for your SS-elements and incorporate that as additional restraints. What I did is to use a modified NMR-script (for X-plor that was, but most of it works with CNS though I remember at least one key-word was not documented in CNS) and refine against an additional Ramachandran potential. It proved very useful in one case of medium/low resolution (<3A ) and didn't improve things in two others.

There are several problems with this approach that you have to be aware of.
- The potentials are derived from Procheck, so all problems with the Procheck-Ramachandran plot apply (see older thread). - Assessing what is 'improve' is not so easy. What I did was to lower the weight for the X-ray term to 1/100000 of its original value. Like that it does not influence the refinement but R-factors are still computed. A simulated annealing in this force field lowered R-free by several percent-points, which lead me to believe in this case the refinement was stuck in a local minimum and the application of Ramachandran-constraints (or is it restraints) helped to push it out of there. - You bias your structure to have a 'good' Ramachandran, so this analysis won't tell you the quality of your structure. Several additional rounds of refinement w/o Rama-restraints did not destroy the good geometry, the Ramachandran plot of this structure is not a measure of its quality/correctness.

If you want to give it a try anyways, I'll dig through my hard drive and find those scripts.
HTH

Jens

abdul azeez wrote:

Hi

I wish to maintain secondary structures during the refinement using the knowledge from previously solved structure. Is there any way to keep helices and antiparallel beta sheets as such during the refinement
using Refmac / CNS.

If yes, then what is the procedure to do that. And what are limits I have to use to retain the secondary structures.
Thanking you in advance.

Abdul Azeez
Postdoc, CBSE, UAB, USA.



<http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/sigclick.cgi/www.rediff.com/signature-home.htm/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>



Reply via email to