I'm sure many of you have been in this situation before, so I would be interested in your opinion.

I'm about to submit a paper containing the structure of a liganded protein. The ligand itself is rather uninteresting, but it induces an important conformational change. I solved a second structure containing another different ligand which induces the same conformational change. Sadly, stereochemical inhomogeneity in the ligand results in poorly defined and ambiguous ligand density, nonetheless, the conformational change is very distinct and well- defined in the omit map (even better than the first ligand). My inclination is to at least mention the results, if not include them in, say, the supplementary materials to the paper. The structure is not technically necessary to the case, but would strengthen the argument. I don't feel that the ligand density is well resolved enough to warrant deposition.

How much would you, as a reader, want to see? Crystallization conditions, unit cell, space group? Omit maps with very partially- built ligand? Nothing at all?

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS
Cornell