hi ...

there is very likely a correlation between quality of the vacuum and
filament lifetime.

it had been recommended to us to monitor the vacuum continuously on the
rigaku ru300 (?) generators we had at the time. this was fairly easy by
just plugging a left over plotter from an old chromatography station
into two plugs 'under the hood' of the machine (make sure you set the
plotter to an appropriate range). these ports output a voltage
proportional to the actual vacuum and allowed us to have a complete
'vacuum history' of the machine for reference at all times.

i found this very useful for the initial burning in of filaments or
ramping up after shutdown, since you could nicely see when the vacuum
was really good enough to ramp up power and voltage, and you would see
it spiking, if you went to fast. we, interestingly, also saw a variety
of other power spikes in the plots, that we maybe should have followed
up on. they might have been interferences from other machinery in the
electrical circuit, or very short leaks in the vacuum system. something
that might be interesting to know, if it exists.

it would also give you a better idea when to start making sure to have
replacement magnetic seals available.

the vacuum also seemed to get notoriously worse when the filament was
about to burn.

there is very likely also some way to record the vacuum in a somewhat
more sophisticated manner and even put the values on a website (together
with data from the cryo), so you can get a better feel for how the
generator is doing from home over the weekend.

the other good thing about this is, that your provider might be more
inclined to replace your filaments, if you can prove that the vacuum has
been just fine, all along (and not only when you accidentally happened
to look at the front panel).

cheers

ingo

--