Hi,

I'll second the TEV protease suggestion. We use it routinely because it is highly specific and easy to make ourselves (and, therefore, cheap). We have never seen it cut non-specifically and, since it is cheap, we just chuck in a bunch and let it go.

The Prescission protease is also very specific and also available for home preparation (it is the 3C protease...prescission is a marketing name). I don't have as much experience with it, but it has behaved for me so far and I know that a number of people use it routinely with great success.

Another nice thing about having the clones around to make your own is that you can make the protease with the same tag that you intend to cut off (say, His or GST or whatever your favorite is). Then, you can remove cleaved tag, uncleaved fusion protein and the protease all in one post-cleavage step.

In our case, we almost always have a HisTag (often as part of some larger fusion) so our TEV is His-tagged. We have some of the GE pGEX vector for Prescission protease, so our 3C clone has GST on it.

Best of luck,

Cynthia