On Wednesday 28 March 2007 08:18, Jim Pflugrath wrote:
> Ethan, very nice web page. I like the discussion of required signal with
> respect to one's diffraction experiment and counting statistics in the
> results page.
>
> I will use this in my lecture tomorrow on SAD/MAD phasing.
>
> Do you mind putting Sulfur as one of the radio buttons?

I don't think that would make any sense.  The radio buttons are for the
theoretical f'/f" values at the absorption edge, but it is rather unlikely
that anyone is actually collecting data at the S absorption edge.
Instead you should use the accompanying tool
        http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu/scatter/AS_form.html
to determine the f' and f" terms from S at whatever wavelength you
will be using, and type those into the form.

> Also, do you mind putting 1.5418 A and 2.29 A as wavelengths among your
> edge radio buttons?

Are you still talking about the AS_signal page, or have you switched
to talking about one of the other web pages on the site?
The "edge buttons" on the AS_signal page fill in typical f' and f"
for an arbitrary element at is own K or L edge.

Selecting a fixed wavelength doesn't make sense in this context.
I'd have to add a separate section in the form that takes
both an element and a wavelength as input, and generates theoretical
(as opposed to experimental) f' and f" values.  That is certainly
possible, but won't be there in time for your lecture tomorrow :-)

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt            Courier Deliveries: 1959 NE Pacific
Dept of Biochemistry