Hi,

If you build a system without stereo graphics, and use a standard monitor, I agree. In-fact it can be done for for under ~$1000. However, stereo systems are rather expensive (LCD stereo systems are VERY expensive).

I was just curious to see how popular stereo graphics is for crystallographers. I personally think its a wonderful teaching tool which is currently under-utilized.

Paul

From: Bart Hazes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Survey on computer usage in crystallography
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:28:25 -0600

I don't expect the "I'd be willing to assemble one from parts for under USD $2000" crowd will be large but you don't have to do the assembling to get all you need well under the $2000 mark. The times that you needed the fastest computer money could buy and still spent lots of time in the library reading while your rigid body refinement was chewing on the next cycle is long gone.

Bart