FWIW, I don't agree with storing image data, I don't think they justify the
cost of storage even remotely (some people debate the value of the structures
themselves....)...but if you want to do it anyway, maybe we should use a format
like jpeg2000.

Last time I checked, none of the major image processing suites used it, but it
is a very impressive and mature format that (I think) would be suitable for
diffraction images.  If anyone is up for experimenting, you can get a nice
suite of tools from kakadu (just google kakdu + jpeg2000).