Hi Bill,

> It seems it would be good to have available if we are all going to
> put our images on our web-servers.

Probably easier to either just bzip2 the images (which works reasonably well
but is somewhat slow) or use one of the imgCIF "jiffy" programs to do this,
which will correctly retain the header information. The pack subroutines you
refer to deal with the pixel array that is the image but do not address the
problem of safe storage of the header.

Plus of imgCIF is some data reduction packages can reduce the data straight
from the compressed files. The minus is that it is not obvious that other
programs can do this and that all settings in the cbf lib can be treated
equivalently (e.g. compression)

The plus of bzip2 is that it leaves the image essentially unharmed, and you
don't need any "special" programs. The minus is you have to unpack before
processing. Usually you get something like a factor of 3 in size for bzip2,
with the compression taking typically 1s/image.

Two things though if people are going to do this for real:

(1) ensure the result is in manageable chunks - a 5GB tarball is no use to
anyone as many programs can't download more than 2^32 bytes, noone wants to
download 720 images individually
(2) compute md5sums for the files so the end user can check they have
downloaded correctly

I guess any script-smith could put together a couple of commands to prepare the
data for www download... not difficult really.

Cheers,

Graeme