In my experience, the "threshold of interpretability" for electron density maps is when the FOM is ~0.5 or higher. I am basing this on anecdotal responses to this movie:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/movies/index.html#phase
In this case, the displayed value for FOM is exact. Depending on how you are estimating FOM, your mileage may vary. As noted on another thread, different programs do indeed report different values for the same statistic. The reason why different programs give different FOMs is because the definition of FOM is the cosine of the difference between the reported phase (output by the program) and the "true" phase. Since you obviously don't know the "true" phase, this is a hard number to figure out. Every phasing technique has a different method of estimating the FOM, but all of them are just that: estimates. In fact, it is somewhat preposterous to try to compute the deviation from some unknown "correct" value, which is why we have so many other phase quality statistics like phasing power, lack of closure, RCullis etc. These are at least well-defined for a given data set, but unfortunately don't have much more than an empirical correlation to the number you really want to know: FOM.

Map interpretability depends on the "true" FOM, but unfortunately, all we have to work with is the FOMs we can estimate. There are sometimes practical reasons for underestimating the FOM (see the mlphare manual), and a solvent-flattening job that is allowed to run for far too many cycles will get phase bias and overestimate the FOM. I can say that in controlled tests I have done, the FOM reported by dm (if you have a modern version and let it decide when to stop cycling) tends to be fairly accurate. Yes, it does depend on resolution, but if you have high-res data with very low FOM, then you basically don't have any high-res data in an FOM-weighted map. I tend to predict map interpretability by asking the question "to what resolution limit is the average FOM > 0.5?" If that is 10A, then I generally don't bother looking at the map.

Perhaps the best way to settle this is to put it out to a challenge: does anybody have a map calculated with an average FOM(fromsomeprogram) < 0.5 that they were able to trace? Does anyone have a map calculated with FOM(fromsomeprogram) > 0.5 that was total garbage?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

Bryan W. Lepore wrote:
general question - perhaps the fundamental question -

for anyone who had "weak/poor/bad" phases from some source, that were later actually used to solve a structure when combined w/ another source - HOW bad were the worst phases on their own, in terms of resolution, FOM, CC, e-density, (any other numbers)? what was MOST important in knowing the phases would help (presumably e-dens.).

i.e, was it only when relatively "better" phases gave any interpretable density that it was known that the "bad" phases would help?

-bryan