here they appear to be too different !

in other words: if Rfree is not 'really free due to twin law' i would expect R/Rfree to be too close, not too far !

A.

On Oct 23, 2007, at 13:58, Jorge Iulek wrote:

John,

One other point to be added, although that might not justify all your observations, is to be sure that the R-free set was chosen respecting the twin law. Both phenix and CNS (not automatically) can do this. Of course, as pointed before, when you change your R- free set, you should "anneal" to avoid previous bias.

J.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Gruene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] AC.GWDG.DE>
To: <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:07 AM
Subject: {Spam?} Re: [ccp4bb] Twinning

There might be a few reasons for these R-values which seem to contradict experience:
1) The starting phases result from MR where the model is very  close and
   from a data set at higher resolution. If your 3.1A data are of
respectable quality, the model would still correspond well to the data,
   hence both R and Rfree are low (-er than the "10% rule": Expect  the
   Rwork to be around 10% of your data set resolution).

2) Your data are not complete, maybe due to the twinning

3) You messed up with your test set and entangled it to the model somehow,
   e.g., because you collected a second data set and did not import
   Rfree from the original one. If the model was already overrefined
   against the initial model your Rfree would come too close to the
   R-value, even though your model is wrong.

4) You might just be a very good modeller and your data, even though only
   low resolution, are rather accurate.

I am sure there are more reasons. Yet, I would be very suspicious with such a low Rvalue at this resolution.

John, you could try
- calculate an omit map
- remove a major part of you model, run a quick refinement and see if the density of the removed part comes back - this should indicate that you
  did not overrefine against your data
- try simulated annealing

Tim

--