Another reference:

N. Sukumar, Y.Xu, D.L. Gatti, B.Mitra and F.S. Mathews
Structure of an Active Soluble Mutant of the Membrane-Associated
(S)-Mandelate Dehydrogenase
Biochemistry 40,9870-9878 (2001).

In this paper, the membrane protein is converted into the soluble
protein by replacing an intra-chain integral membrane-binding portion
(39 residues) by a segment from its closely related soluble homologue
(20 residues) and crystallized without any detergents.

Sukumar
--
N. Sukumar
NE-CAT, Building 436E