Hi Yang Li:

Macromolecular crystal refinement programs use ideal bond lengths and angles.

The simplest ones just assume any carbon-carbon single bond (C-C) is the
same as any other, and use one average value, and any carbon-carbon double
bond (C=C) is the same as any other, and use another average value, and so
on for all possible linkages.

Better ones treat individual cases differently, so that the Calpha-Cbeta
bond in amino acids is compared only to other Calpha-Cbeta bond lengths,
for example.

The best ones will have a specific average value for each Calpha-Cbeta
bond length for each amino acid that has this bond.

Similarly for angles.

The standard value is usually established from very high resolution
crystal structures of (for example) individual amino acids, and/or quantum
chemistry calculations.

Various different methods are employed to penalize deviation from ideality
in a refinement.  It is common to use a simple quadratic penalty, which
can be characterized by a Hook's Law spring constant, and this is
justified where the harmonic approximation for bond potentials is valid
(and it should be in crystal structures).

Each refinement program has its own way of implementing the above, so the
best thing to do is to look at the bond parameter dictionaries that your
program uses.

I hope that comes closer to answering your question.

All the best,

Bill Scott