Hi Madhavi

In conjunction with a 96-syringe hydra for filling reservoirs, we have been
using two Genomic Solutions 8-tip "Cartesian" systems (Called HoneybeeX8 now I
believe) for the past 6 years and have been generally very happy with them.
They require a bit of looking after in terms of cleaning, degassing and general
maintenance (like most sensitive machines: have a responsible person), but have
set up about 30000 plates by now with 100nl + 100nl drops. We use it routinely
for optimisation experiments and additive/detergent screens as well as initial
screening. Consumable costs are pretty low (a few valves, tips and wash pumps
over the years, along with a supply of isopropanol and water). The Innovadyne
system is apparently quite similar but I have no experience of this.
A few points to bear in mind though:
1) Evaporation of drops with small drop sizes - 100nl drops take only a few
minutes to dry out completely, so you should either use a close-fitting cover
over the plate, some kind of humidity chamber (each of the wells will be
different though), have very fast plate setup time or chill the plate (which
may affect protein solubility). We use a close fitting cover since each plate
of 96 takes 10 minutes.
2) Contact and non-contact dispensing. Non-contact dispensing seems to be more
accurate in terms of drop positioning in the well: important for images from
automated imaging systems, image analysis software, and for fishing crystals
out to test.
Non-contact dispensing won't give you so many problems with low surface tension
solutions such as detergents, and is compatible with hydrophobic plates
(important for membrane proteins).

I dont think there is a perfect robot out there - all the robots I have seen
have both advantages and disadvantages so it just depends what you will be
using them for, what disadvantages you are willing to put up with, and of
course your budget.

Happy shopping!
Tom

**                          Tom Walter B.Sc. M.Res.                   **
** Oxford Protein Production Facility        Tel: +44 (0)1865 287747  **
** Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics  Fax: +44 (0)1865 287547  **
** Roosevelt Drive                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]   **
** Headington, Oxford OX3 7BN                http://www.oppf.ox.ac.uk **