I seem to recall hearing Rsym first when I used the Xuong-Hamlin detector,
since there were a substantial number of redundancies. There were two
Rsyms, one called Rrms for the sqrt over the sum of weighted squared
differences and and Rav for the linear summation of unweighted
differences. This was for protein work.

I do recall Rmerge being more popular with the small molecule
crystallographers. However, I also recall a difference between averaging
over pairs of reflections that were or were not Bijvoet pairs, for even
small differences in the anomalous scattering contributions.

Bernie