From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Zheng, Lei
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:51 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] problem on protein precipitation

Hi ccp4ers,

Sorry for this out-topic question:

Recently we have a membrane protein expressed, after solubilized with
detergent and purified from IMAC, the protein looks beautiful in SEC.
However, it completely precipitates after the 2-3 days storage in 4
degree. We supplement 2 mM DTT in the new elute from IMAC, the protein
looks happy during weeks at 4 degree. However, it starts to form an
invisible aggregate (verified from SEC) during the protein concentration
by Centricon. I know this is not uncommon problem for both soluble and
membrane proteins and wonder if anyone has any tip and experience to
overcome this problem.

The protein pI is 8.6, buffer used is pH 7.6. Glycerol is always present
during the purification. We do have high salt (500mM) in the buffer.

Thank you for you input in advance,

Lei