Rumor also has it that more than one "bad" codon in a row, particular near the beginning, can be extra-bad. For one small, A/T rich protein, we simply "fixed" a pair of bad Arg codons near the N-terminus at the same time as recloning it, by using the N-terminal cloning primer to do the mutagenesis. Combined with using codon-plus E coli, expression improved dramatically.
Good luck!
        Phoebe Rice