In such cases, we always define the test set first in the high-symmetry
space group choice. Then, if it is warranted to lower the crystallographic
symmetry and replace with NCS symmetry, we expand the test set
to the lower symmetry space group.  In other words, the test set itself
will be invariant upon applying any of the crystallographic or NCS operators, so will be maximally "free" in these cases. It is then also possible to
directly compare the free R between the high and low crystallographic
space group choices.

Our recent Neuroligin structure is such an example (Arac et al., Neuron 56, 992-, 2007).

Axel