Hey Kay,

I'm not even sure I see a problem with reposting. All ccp4 posts are archived, and the archive is public. So, by posting to the list, you're already implicitly consenting to having your comment made public. How is this different from being included in the wiki?

That said, I think copying emails to the wiki is not a good idea. Rather, conversations should be edited, distilled to the central points and posted. That's much more work but more beneficial also. Kind of like the summary email some people send out.

Andreas

Kay Diederichs wrote:
Dear all,

one week ago the CCP4 community wiki at http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Main_Page was announced. I had to learn the meaning of the word "slashdotted" on that occasion (thanks Paul!).

In the meantime there have been a total of 3,037 page views, and 250 page edits since CCP4 wiki was setup. That comes to 3.29 average edits per page, and 12.15 views per edit. A good start I'd say!

I've been thinking about ways how to help registered users (registration results in the right to compose and edit articles, and is free!) to be able to store information posted on CCP4BB into the wiki. (The best would be of course that all people who post information also insert it into the wiki, but that may be asking too much)

To this end, I can think of two ways:
a) people who agree that all their postings be copied into or otherwise used for the wiki from now on: please send me email stating this fact. I shall then put your names and email addresses on a 'protected' page of the wiki, so that any registered users can see that fact and use the contents of your postings in articles. b) people who agree that a specific posting they make be copied or otherwise used for the wiki: could you please indicate at the bottom of your posting, or in your signature, that you agree to this?

Comments or better ideas?

best,

Kay