Those of you still meaning to send something in to the STFC consultation
exercise might find it useful if I let you know the points I intend to include,
of course this is not exhaustive!

Protein Crystallography: Diamond & ESRF
Protein crystallography in the UK needs access to high-quality, state of the
art, X-ray data collection facilities, this demand will increase.

The needs are for
i)                    high-throughput stations for the collection of data from
protein-ligand complexes and for molecular replacement.
ii)                   Tunable stations around 1Å to collect anomalous data from
selenomethioine and other derivatives for de novo structure determination
iii)                 Microfocus beamlines for very small crystal crystals, very
mosaic ones, large cells, and other difficult problems
iv)                 Tunable long-wavelength beamline for sulphur (and other
lighter atom) SAD

These needs have been met mostly by access to SRS and ESRF, with the closure of
SRS Diamond is now being developed but at present there are only three
beam-lines operating, and these are not yet as productive or efficient as they
will be. Further development is needed to get the most from these. Stopping
investment and support will not allow this.
Phase II (which is not rated in the top category by the PALS review) includes
the microfocus beamline and a fixed-wavelength side-station. Phase III (also
not in the “top box”) includes the long-wavelength beamline.

ESRF is a very significant resource that has been used most productively,
especially by UK users. This has just about kept up with demand in the past,
but will not do so with an increase in demand.

I suggest you might like to mention any examples of important science, medical
and/or economic benefit that has come or is expected to come from any of the
above. The importance for drug discovery of determining the structures of
“routine” protein complexes might be one such.

It is also worth mentioning the broader use of the facility and the
science/medical/economic synergy that having (e.g.) surface science, SAXS, and
other synchrotron-dependent techniques available. The UK has an enviable record
in biomolecular and physical science, and advanced techniques are essential for
this to continue and to be able to be exploited.
For this we also need to train the next generation of scientists. etc etc.

Peter Moody
1/56 Henry Wellcome Laboratories
University of Leicester
Lancaster Road