BACKGROUND: Recently we acquired an Art Robbins Phoenix crystallization robot. This instrument is in a shared environment, accessible to labs with projects that range from small, well-behaved soluble cytosolic proteins to large complexes and integral membrane proteins. Many of our users obtain only small quantities (a few hundred microliters) of purified proteins, and they are always looking for ways to maximize the number of crystallization screens they can set up with their samples.

QUESTION: Several users have recently asked if they could use a protocol that allows them to aspirate enough protein into the Nanoneedle (the needle used for dispensing protein) to set up 3-5 or more different 96-condition screens. They feel this would minimize any sample waste and maximize their time. Our concern is that this might result in clogging of the Nanoneedle due to evaporation and subsequent precipitation of their protein, as the amount of time required for such a protocol would be greater than 10 minutes. Our local Art Robbins representative has agreed with us that this is not a recommended protocol. We are in a bit of a dilemma as we do not have enough experience with this robot to definitively say that the users should not follow this kind of protocol, but perhaps there is a better way to achieve their desired goal.

Does anyone out there have any practical suggestions and experience that could help us accommodate such user requests?

Thank you in advance, I'll post a summary of responses,

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.