Hi Raji,

you can't compare cultures with only one protein expressed by amount of cell yield or OD at the end. It's not really fun for the poor E.coli's to produce our favourite proteins (even if they're not toxic to E.coli). We keep thinking you just induce and harvest later E.coli takes care of the rest. In reality expression is more a stressful situation it first has to make sure to keep up with the various antibiotics you've added then normal life ends for E.coli as soon as you induce as the proteinmachinery is more or less exclusivly working for your protein.

What I usually do when I have a new construct is I run a cheap experiment with 2 x 50 ml TB cultures and measure the OD over time every hour. One culture is induced the other one not, at the end I compare the plots and deduce when it is best to induce and harvest my cells. The things I look at is what is the peak OD of the non-induced and induced culture, when does the non-induced culture reach halve height of their maximum (15 minutes before that timepoint is when I would induce them the next time, of course the aeration varies with volume , +/- antifoam, +/- baffeled flasks). It is not uncommon to see in the induced experiment that the maximum OD drops off at the end, if that is the case better harvest your cells at the peak as they start lysing.

If your expression level is low that can have many factors and I won't go into that at this point.

So if you don't have a growth curve make one, the longer you culture your cells the more your protein might be exposed to proteases that's another thing to consider when being lazy and growing over night cultures, know your system and act accordingly.

Juergen

Raji Edayathumangalam wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

I am growing the cultures as we speak and have increased the temp to 22C and
plan to harvest in
about 6-8 hrs.

Thanks for the Q7 rule. I read it before but I couldn't remember exactly and a
quick-and-dirty
Google and Pubmed search did not bring it up.

Let me clarify what I mean by lysis. Here are my observations:
a) At the time of harvest, the final OD is lower for protein A + protein B (on
two plasmids) than
that for the same cells expressing only protein A or protein B (all else being
similar at the time
of induction). b) When the cells are spun down, the supernatant is cloudy and the pellet is smaller for A+B. The
supernatant is clear for A alone or B alone.
I am not sure this is a result of phage contamination since I have two other
'controls' for the same
batch of competent cells in the same shaker, one containing just plasmid A and
the other with only
plasmid B. And, this is reproducible.

Yes, I also very much suspect that my proteins may be a culprit, even though I
only mentioned the
antibiotics. Will see what happens this time.

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions.
Raji