When we ran into reviewer complaints a while back we referred to Methods in Enzymology, 277:366-396. I can't lay my hands onto this to verify the statement, but back then it was good enough to placate the reviewer.

Full QnA with reviewer:

3) Why were only 1% of the reflections included in the test set for the free R value?

The original publication by Axel Brünger used 10% of the reflections for the test set, and this became standard practice. However, further analysis by Axel Brünger indicated that it is the absolute number of reflections in the test that is important, not the relative size, and he recommended that a test set size of at least 500 reflections (Methods in Enzymology, 277:366-396. Accordingly, we conservatively use a test set of 1,264 reflections, which gives the significant advantage that more terms can be used in the refinement calculation.

Andreas