Hi Mark,

Cryocooled loops stored in tubes inside dewars do flex a little when the loops
are put on the goniometer. This is natural, as in the dewar, the whole pin was
in liquid nitrogen, but on the goniometer, it is only the loop that is in the
cryo stream. Having said that, the degree of movement is small enough not to
worry about, but will stabilise within a couple of minutes. Different makes of
loops move to different extents, due to the different amount of metal in them.
I agree that the Mitegen loops move least, as they are made of more plastic
than others, which doesn't change dimensions upon temperature cycling as much
as metal pins.

When it comes to loops disappearing out of the field of view, then that is
almost certainly due to a pin not glued to the base. It works for a little
while, but when you start rotating it, gravity sets in, and it jumps randomly.
The solution is quite simple. Just a tiny drop of super glue between pin and
base, wait long enough for it to set, then rotate.

As for empty loops, what Eddy Snell described is very likely if your loop is
taken to the cryo stream first, with the stream obstructed. Eddy gave an
accurate description of the problem. It might be better to put the loops in a
tube in a small open dewar to avoid exactly this problem, then take the tube to
the goniometer.

Many different ways of achieving the same result. Isn't research wonderful!

Pierre
Pierre Rizkallah, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, Cheshire WA4 4AD, U.K.
Phone:  (+)44 1925 603808      Fax:  (+)44 1925 603124
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] html: http://www.srs.ac.uk/px/pjr/