Increasing redundancy only helps if all data draw from the same distribution so you get a more accurate estimate of the mean of the distribution. When dealing with different crystals, crystal-to-crystal variation is likely larger than the anomalous signal you are looking for and I'm therefore not convinced that merging of data is a good idea (never hurts to try though).

I wonder if it would work better to derive anomalous differences for the individual data sets first and then merge those anomalous differences. This may allow the subtraction between F+ and F- to remove some of the systematic differences there may be between crystal forms.

Bart

Kay Diederichs wrote:
hari jayaram schrieb:

I was wondering if anyone could comment on combining datasets from multiple P1 crystals to increase the redundancy even further for such heavy atom ( SAS / SAD ) or MAD experiments.

Hari,

well, my comment would be that it should be possible in principle from what you describe, but the outcome strongly depends on the details (size of expected and observed anomalous and isomorphous signal, internal anomalous correlation coefficients, I/sigma and R-factors, radiation damage, are crystals isomorphous, ...).

To increase the quality of the reduced data it would be advisable to rotate around different axes, which is possible at some - but not all - beamlines. This is even more true in P1.

For all of the major data reduction programs there exist specific programs for merging data, and it does make a lot of sense to merge your passes (but don't merge radiation-damaged data with undamaged data)!. I would suggest to use at least two different data reduction packages - everything depends on the quality of the data reduction, and the programs have strengths in different areas.

HTH,

Kay

Bart Hazes (Assistant Professor)
Dept. of Medical Microbiology & Immunology
University of Alberta
1-15 Medical Sciences Building
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada, T6G 2H7