Jiamu

Although we no longer focus on microbatch-under-oil, we have a small
utility called VDTOMB that converts from vapor diffusion conditions to
microbatch.  I have tested it with known published and  in-house
crystallization conditions and it seems to work remarkably well.  Go to
http://www.douglas.co.uk/tipsntech.htm  (you must use Internet Explorer,
not Firefox or something) and click on the link near the middle of the
page.

In most cases where the main precipitant is PEG there will be very
little equilibration in the VD experiment, so the MB conditions are
almost the same as the VD conditions.

The typical size for manual dispensing is 1 + 1 ul.  For robotic
dispensing, 0.3 + 0.3 is typical.

As long as you have a couple of mm of paraffin (or silicone mixed with
paraffin for screening) over the drops you will be OK.

If you or anyone else would like plates for microbatch, please ask me
for samples - see http://www.douglas.co.uk/vb.htm.  They're about $4,
which is cheaper than most VD plates.

MB often works well for proteins that are sensitive to oxidation, and
for membrane proteins.  Generally, less protein is lost on the surface
of the drop, and the crystallization conditions are better known.  It is
also great for conditions with isopropanol or other volatile liquids -
see http://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm

Good luck with your project

Patrick

--

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Douglas Instruments Ltd.

 DouglasHouse, EastGarston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG177HD, UK

 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk/

 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034

 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36