        From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Green, Todd
        Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:13 AM
        To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Dry shippers

        I'm interested to hear responses on this as well. We have
shipped back and forth crystals a 100 times and never had a problem
until our last trip to the synchrotron. The person at fed ex knocked our
shipper onto it's side in order to verify the measurements. The fact
that they did it with a big plunk is beside the point given that it has
fragile and delicate instruments stickers covering the outside. Anyway,
it hissed and a plume of cold air was observed and they refused to
accept it. I always do as Stephan has described, however I did return
about 100 crystals in caps full of LN2 to the dewar. I believe over time
the LN2 in the caps will boil off(maybe the wrong term). Anyway, i
brought it back to the lab and kept gently tilting the case until i
didn't hear the hissing or see the eflux of cold air and took it back.
We called fed ex and got conflicting answers on shipping. The person
that refused to ship it wouldn't concede that it was a dry shipper
without LN2 and told us we had to fill out hazard forms. The number they
gave me to call for aide in filling out this paperwork had a nice lady
that knew what a dry shipper was. I explained our procedure. She said to
put a sign on the outside that said "Non-hazardous dry shipper". Then,
she said to take it back out and tell them to call her if they refused
it again. No problem the second time around. I guess it is my fault in
the end because there was residual LN2 from the caps, but I thought it
would discepate and was negligible. Maybe if i'd waited an hour or so
later it'd have been no problem. Who knows? It was a horrible experience
flying out the same day as shipping for fear of another problem. I
basically had to white knuckle it until they arrived.