Hey there,

I am working on (the theoretical side of) a protein complex whose structure has been solved. The protein homo-dimerizes, mediated primarily by two long helices.

Using sequencing alignment and the WHAT IF server, I built monomeric hybrid models containing the bulk of the known structure and the dimerization helices of homologous proteins. Naturally, I want to know how likely they are to form dimers.

To look at the energetics, I've run the phenix geometry regularization algorithm to minimize clashes and side chain energies. The backbone conformation only changes minimally. Next I calculated in Rosetta the energetic scores of the models before and after regularization and compared with that of the native structure. This gave me some numbers that are not inconsistent with experiments.

Before I sit down and write this up, I wanted to ask the community if what I've done makes sense and if there are alternative methods for minimizing and calculating interface energies. I don't necessarily need docking algorithms as the interface is known. I just want to get an energetic description.

Thank you.

Andreas

--
        Andreas Förster, Research Associate