Fox GC, Shafiq M, Briggs DC, Knowles PP, Collister M, Didmon MJ,
Makrantoni V, Dickinson RJ, Hanrahan S, Totty N, Stark MJ, Keyse SM,
McDonald NQ.
Abstract
Redox-mediated substrate recognition by Sdp1 defines a new group of
tyrosine phosphatases.
Nature. 2007 May 24;447(7143):487-92. Epub 2007 May 9.
PMID: 17495930

(ahem)

We have something similar to what you describe - a disulphide linked
N-terminal extension that was invisible, but part of it (including the
disulphide bond) was necessary for substrate recognition. We had
datasets ± DTT, and were able to confirm the presence of a disulphide
my mass spec and free-thiol assays.

HTH,

David

--