The main differences aren't cosmetic, but rather free accessibility of updates and distributions, as well as attitude aka "philosophy."

Advantages of Ubuntu include frequent OS updates, debian-based package management system (which admittedly is a matter of taste, but it is one of the original package management systems), an active user-based support community, extremely good internationalization support, and a major financial commitment to keeping everything free and open: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/foundation from the Canonical corporation, headed by Mark Shuttleworth, a South African anti-racist entrepreneur who manages to defy the cynics: http://rixstep.com/2/1/20060712,00.shtml

Any software that runs on RH/Fedora will run on Ubuntu and vice versa, so that should not be an issue.

I'm running Xubuntu by the way (xfce4), but I also have the options of logging into KDE or gnome (Kubuntu and vanila Ubuntu) as well as other window managers. For me, installing vanilla ubuntu first and then xfce4 worked fine.

I made the transition by installing on a new partition (new disk) and booting into it, back when Breezy was introduced. I never looked back.

I've put some more propaganda here:
http://sage.ucsc.edu/xtal/wiki/index.php/Scientific_Computing_on_Ubuntu

Bill