Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.  We are still working out
the best protocol for our specific protein, but I list here the
suggestions received, since they may prove helpful to others as well.

1.  I assume that your native (12 Cys) protein runs as monomer on
non-reducing SDS-PAGE and on native conditions, right?
If your 13 Cys protein is still correctly folded, the dimerisation has
happened spontaneously, but can be competed off by a proper redox
system, e.g. oxidized and reduced glutathione: GS-SG, GSH;
I would start with 1 mM GS-SG  and 10 mM GSH, i.e. excess reduced GSH;
the effect would be that disulfides tend to be reduced, unless they are
conformationally protected.
However, the other ratio might work as well: 10 mM GS-SG  and 1 mM GSH.
Now you would expect your Cys13 to be bonded to one of the excess
glutathione (mixed disulfed), while the native disulfides remain intact,
as they are conformationally stabilized.
Of course, you can use a redox system other than glutathione, e.g.
cysteine - cystine.
Good luck,
Hans

2.  Did you inhibit S-S bond formation after addition of SDS? Lots of
proteins form dimers when unfolded without presence of reducing agent.
Adding 20 mM NEM into SDS-PAGE loading buffer is easiest way to prevent
this.
Assuming that you did this and you actually see intermolecular bond, you
can play with reducing agent(s) concentrations. Intramolecular bonds
require much higher concentration of reducing agents (e.g., IgG is
perfectly happy and not reduced at 1 mM DTT at room temperature).
Dima

3.  For the first part (i.e. able to selectively reduce the protein at
the engineered Cys without breaking the 6 disulfide bonds), this will
depend on the solvent accessibility of these disulfide bonds. We have
some examples of proteins containing up to 3 disulfide bonds and also
free SH groups implicated in the catalysis for which we are able to add
up to 2.5 mM of a reducing agent (DTT) without breaking S-S bonds.
For the second part, you can use a reversible and specific thiol
protecting group, such as MMTS. By doing this you form a
S-methylthio-derivative of your protein, which can be easily reduced.
Best regards,
Rene Wintjens

4.  Have you tried selective reduction using cysteine?  Cysteine is used
to reduce Fab2' to Fab' after pepsin digestions.  It tends to reduce
surface disulfides and leaves internal disulfides intact.  However, you
will need to experimentally determine the concentration of cysteine to
use.  I would try a concentration range of 0.5-20 mM cysteine.  Hope
this helps.
Jeff

5.  You could consider to reversibly protect the free cysteine
chemically.  Treat with sulfite + tetrathionate (ca 10-100 mM) to let
the free cysteines react to S-sulfonates and prevent them forming
disulfides.  Later, when you want the free cysteines, you treet with
thiols (ca.1 mM). The problem of regioselectivity for the disulfide
cleave, though, remains. Low DTT concentrations or redox buffers with
glutathion (GSH/GSSG) could work.
Gottfried

Original query: