A good compromise in the case of suspected perfect merohedral twinning
is to select the free R reflections using thin shells. Since the twin
related reflections have the same sin(theta)/lambda values they will
not be split over the working and reference sets. XPREP offers this
option. A disadvantage is the the maps may not be quite as good as
when the free R reflections are selected randomaly.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,