There are certainly reasons why it shouldn't work:
 - the protein may alter the structure - even if its not a
"big bender", it may tweak the groove widths or introduce a
shallow overall bend in a long binding site
 - the phosphates move the most between DNA structures, and
unfortunately they also scatter the most.

That said, it really can work!  My student got very nice
results using phaser and model-built 5-bp chunks of duplex
DNA.  Using short chunks avoided the problem of an unknown
overall bend.  It didn't find everything, but it certainly
helped us get a toehold on the phase problem.

So go for it.

   Phoebe