We've been able to run months with an old Xstream 2000 system, so that
shouldn't be the problem. Unlike Frank, we haven't had problems with water
in the nitrogen from a nitrogen generator.

If Frank is correct, that it's water, then either the molecular sieves
need to be replaced, or there is ice buildup and blockage in the coldhead.
Usually blockage in the coldhead means that you can't get down in temp, or
can't maintain it within 1 degree or less. We do bring the temp up, run it
at RT over the weekend to dry things out, and then bring it down for
routine cooling.

If it's turbulence, then you don't have the warm and cold flow rates set
correctly. One thing you can see immediately, upon getting down to 100K,
is how far is the frosting plume from the tip of the nozzle. If you adjust
the flow rates, you can move that plume, caused by turbulence, closer or
further from the nozzle. It's also possible that there is something in the
nozzle that is causing turbulence no matter what the flow rates are, and
your vendor needs to look at that.

Bernie Santarsiero