>From memory, correlation length is the length during which the phase of the
electric field is preserved. It's typically computed by applying time (pulse
width)- frequency (converted to length) uncertainty principle.

V. Nagarajan
JAN Scientific, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Bernhard Rupp
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:51 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] X-ray photon correlation length

I always wondered  - how is the X-ray photon correlation length defined

and where do I find it?  This is not the interaction length, I assume.

So, to the physicists: How large is the 'X-ray photon correlation length'

for a given wavelength in a given material?

I had the impression that the term photon correlation refers

to the time correlation of the scattering such as in photon correlation
spectroscopy.

 Best regards, BR