A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Bert van den Berg at
UMass Medical School, Worcester (MA), to work on a NIH-funded project
investigating the mechanism by which hydrophobic molecules, such as toxic
xenobiotics, cross the bacterial outer membrane. The focus of the project will
be on establishing in vivo transport assays for (mono) aromatic hydrocarbons,
and the purification, crystallization and structure determination of FadL
homologues from biodegrading bacteria. In addition, channel-substrate complexes
and site-directed mutants of the toluene channels TodX and TbuX will be
subjected to structural studies. For more information please see Hearn et al.,
Nature 1 Feb 2009, and Hearn et al., PNAS 105, 8601-8606 (2008), or contact me
directly.

We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic person with a strong background
in molecular biology. Experience with cloning in Pseudomonas species would be
ideal. Experience in membrane protein biochemistry and X-ray crystallography
would be advantageous, but is not required. Please send applications and the
names of two or three references to: bert.vandenb...@umassmed.edu.

Bert van den Berg
Program in Molecular Medicine
Biotech II, 373 Plantation Street, Suite 115
Worcester MA 01605
Phone: 508 856 1201 (office); 508 856 1211 (lab)
e-mail: bert.vandenb...@umassmed.edu
http://www.umassmed.edu/pmm/faculty/vandenberg.cfm