Rui

Microbatch - which I take to mean crystallization under oil with no
reservoir - has many advantages, but with some robots it's a little
slower to set up (20 mins on ours).   So most people I know start off
with vapor diffusion and only move to microbatch if they have problems
with VD.

It seems to find as many hits as vapor diffusion, but in different
conditions - see http://www.douglas.co.uk/mbnvdall.htm
<http://www.douglas.co.uk/mbnvdall.htm>

Main advantages:

1.       Gives thinner skins on drops and less protein is lost on the
surface

2.       The oil often protects sensitive proteins such as membrane
proteins or oxygen sensitive proteins

3.       You can change temperature freely (no condensation etc.)

4.       Very good for use with volatile organics, see e.g.
http://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm
<http://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm>

And you can use it with "MMS" microseeding just like VD - very important
I believe.

I guess the main disadvantage is that it can be hard to harvest crystals
through the oil (although some say the oil makes it easier because you
can take your time)

People are using smaller and smaller reservoirs so I guess one day
they'll realize that you don't need a reservoir  ;-)

Good luck

Patrick

--

For information and discussion about protein crystallization and
automation, please join

our bulletin board at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/oryx_group?hl=en

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.

 DouglasHouse, EastGarston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG177HD, UK

 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk/

 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034

 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36