I second the reclone it recommendation.

Best,

Cynthia

On May 4, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Engin Ozkan wrote:

Have you tried M15[pREP4], which are the cells Qiagen would like you to use? You can at least use pREP4 + your expression host, and have repressor expression to prevent leaky expression. That can help you get colonies of transformants.

Engin

On 5/4/09 7:04 AM, atul kumar wrote:

xl1-blue is not an expression host,since i have cloned it successfully,i need to transform into expression host, i am able to transform it into dh5 alfa,but not in any of expression host

From: ar...@xtals.org [mailto:ar...@xtals.org]
Sent: Mon 5/4/2009 6:32 PM
To: atul kumar
Cc: ccp4bb@jiscmail.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] problem in transformation of pqe 30 clone

Hi,

You are using a pQE vector which has a T5 promoter. T5 is a native- like promoter, recognized by the E. coli RNA polymerase - and this means that even with lac operatorsupstream there is a huge amount of leakage in this system. If your protein is even moderately toxic then you have issues.

Your solutions are
1) to use cells with higher levels of lac repressor (XL1-blue for example)
2) to re-clone this ORF under some tightly controlled promoter

Artem