OK, here's a concrete case:

A 150kDa protein complex, the plate-like crystals can be produced in sufficient number; Se-Met derivatives available, total number of Met around 20, subunits could be marked and combined individually. Diffraction is highly anisotropic, in certain directions up to 3.8A,while in others only 5A. Similarly, the spot quality is very dependent on orientation. Space group I222, a=75 b=150 c=250. Datsets scale well with 3-4% Rsym up to 12 A resolution. At 4.5A Rsym rises above 50% (I/sigma is still at 2.0). The 'sweet' slices of the dataset scale significantly better, but give only 70% (non-anomalous) completness. We hope to improve datasets slightly by orienting the crystals. 65% of the structure would be available as coordinate building blocks from the PDB, however, MR with these components so far did not yield a clear solution.

Any suggestions or experiences with similar cases are welcome.

Cheers,
Clemens

Zitat von Clemens Vonrhein <vonrh...@globalphasing.com>:

Hi Clemens,

maybe re-phrasing your question:

What would be the best technique/strategy to phase crystals that

[ ] diffract to maximal ___ A
[ ] typical diffraction to __ A
[ ] are radiation sensitive
[ ] easily reproducable
[ ] large crystals (up to ___ um)
[ ] long needles
[ ] thin plates
[ ] have ___ mol/asu
[ ] spacegroup ___
[ ] nice diffraction pattern
[ ] poor diffraction pattern (reason: ___)
[ ] anisotropic diffraction (resolution in poorest direction: ___ A)
[ ] cell dimensions of roughly ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
[ ] purified from native source
[ ] expressed in expression system ___
[ ] anything else: _______

Tick the appropriate boxes and fill out the blanks as much as possible
- that should give more important and necessary information. There are
consequences to consider for all of those points that would then give
some rough guidelines for your particular project/problem.

Maybe CCP4 should have an online form to describe a particular
crystallographic problem?

Cheers

Clemens